There are a lot of misconceptions about bisexuals that float around. Despite the fact that we are now in 2017 the misconceptions and myths regarding bisexuality unfortunately still exist, which is a shame. But today I’m here to talk about some of those misconceptions so let’s begin!
1. Bisexuals don’t exist – because apparently you can only like one gender at a time, so meaning you can only be heterosexual or homosexual. But that’s not true because bisexuals do exist and it’s very real.
2. Bisexuality is just a phase – Bisexuality is definitely not a phase. Not for everyone, anyway. Some people may use bisexuality as a sort of stepping stone, whether that be for coming out or simply figuring out their sexual orientation, but this isn’t the case for everyone. Bisexuality is a real sexuality and not a phase.
3. Bisexuals are greedy – Honestly, this misconception is probably the one that infuriates me the most. Someone’s sexual orientation doesn’t automatically make them greedy. Although being attracted to more than one gender does increase the amount of potential partners, this doesn’t mean that they are emotionally or physically attracted to everyone. Just like someone who is straight or gay isn’t automatically attracted to everyone of the same gender.
4. Bisexuals are scared of commitment – Being bisexual, or any other sexual orientation for that matter, has nothing to with commitment. Being committed and loyal depends on the individual person and not their sexual orientation.
5. If you’re dating someone, whether that be a man or a woman, then apparently your bisexuality no longer exists and you’re either straight or gay – This is false and only serves to simply invalidate bisexuality. If a bisexual is dating a man or a woman, they are still a bisexual, surprisingly (mentally rolls my eyes).
And there are some of the bisexual myths and misconceptions and why they are ridiculous or simply aren’t true. I hope you enjoyed reading!
Keep updated with my blog posts on bloglovin’