Whether your writing a blog post, a novel, or anything in between, we all will have experienced writers block at some point and it can be difficult to push through. Staring at a blank screen waiting for the inspiration to somehow hit you isn’t going to help the situation. In this post I have a couple of tips to help overcome writers block.
1. Listen to music. Music, especially with fictional writing, is great for inspiration I find. I love listening to the lyrics of songs and creating scenes from them with the whole emotion behind it. Or maybe one lyric gets your mind thinking and this can turn into a blog posts, who knows. Music seems to be my go to for inspiration; I would definitely recommend it!
2. Keeping up with the news. I find this especially useful when I’m writing blog posts; it’s another source of inspiration for me. Whether that’s checking out the Twitter Moments tab or reading an online newspaper, it’s a great way to be inspired by what you read. (The newspaper I tend to read is The Guardian for anyone that’s interested!)
3. Write at your best time. Whether you’re an early bird or a night owl, write when you feel most productive. Push through the struggle of writers block, you can always come and edit it later. Hopefully by writing when you’re the most productive it will help you to overcome your writers block!
4. Work on something else creative. Take a break from whatever you’re writing and work on something else creative, then come back later. By working on something creative in between your break may help to get your creative juices flowing.
5. Just write, stop planning. Planning outlines for blog posts and novels can get a little tedious; it can take the joy out of writing. Instead of planning write whatever comes to your mind. You never know where your mind might take you.
This was a mixture of tips that I’ve found whilst researching and some of my own tips for overcoming Writers block. I hope you find these useful!
What are your tricks for overcoming writers block?
Keep updated with my blog posts on bloglovin’